Carob Banana Loaf
CAROB BANANA LOAF
125g butter, softened (not melted)
½ cup raw sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 very ripe bananas, well mashed
2 tbsp carob powder
1½ cups white spelt flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
½ cup chopped pitted dates
1 x 80g carob milk bar (chopped)
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease and line a loaf tin.
2. In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence together until creamy.
3. Add the eggs, beating again until creamy.
4. Add the mashed banana, carob powder, bicarb soda, dates and chopped carob, stirring with a mixing spoon until combined and the carob powder has coloured the mixture evenly.
5. Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until the centre of the loaf tests as just cooked. Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until the centre of the loaf tests as just cooked. (I also like to cover the tin with aluminum foil after about 10 minutes of cooking (or once the loaf has risen to its highest point) to prevent the top burning while the centre of the loaf cooks. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.)
6. Once cool, remove from tin, peel away baking paper and wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then place in a sealed container. Rest overnight before slicing with a serrated knife.